is was a work in progress, but I’ve pretty much obtained almost all of my gear, except for the following:
- Prescription Sunglasses: I’m nearsighted, not terribly, but I do want to see everything in as much of it’s glory as possible. Safer, too, so I don’t wander over a cliff. :) Will be using my sunglasses most of the time, so need to find good frames that are prescription compatible.
- Prescription Glasses: For those times I want to see, but the sun isn’t up. :)
- For a list with visuals (being updated), visit the detailed gear list located —> here!
THE GEAR LIST:
PCT 2011 Gear List
(“^^” denotes gear carried from Sierras —> north only. Some items will be “bounced” ahead, from one town to the next until needed via a “bounce box“– a package mailed to myself via general delivery — referred to in list as “BB”)
For a list with visuals (being updated), visit the detailed gear list located —> here!
- Pack: McHale “SubPop” (thanks to Dan McHale)
- Food: AlpineAire (Tim, you are amazing, and can rock a hair net!)
- Backpack Shoulder Pouch: ZPacks “Shoulder Pouch” (thanks to Joe at ZPacks)
- Wide brimmed hat: OutdoorResearch “Seattle Sombrero” (thanks to Brian A. from BPL)
- Bug Head Net: MLD Bug Head Net (thanks to Andrew Skurka)
- Balaclava (sleeping): BPL “Cocoon Pro 90″ balaclava(thanks to Andrew Skurka)
- Long sleeve hooded top: Patagonia “R1 Hoodie” (thanks to Steve Rain @ BPL)
- Vest: Patagonia wind vest (thanks to Chad Helmke @BPL)
- Insulated Jacket: Patagonia “Nano Puff” jacket(Thanks to @ BPL)
- Gloves: Arctery’x “Delta SV” (thanks to @BPL)
- Mitts: Outdoor Research “Goretex Overmitts” (thanks to William Johnsen @BPL)
- Waterproof bottoms: TrailLite Designs “Cloud Kilt” (thanks to Thom Darrah of TrailLite Designs)
- Gaiters: Outdoor Research “Flex-Tex” gaiters (thanks to William Johnsen @BPL)
- Tarp: Alpinlite Gear “Stratiform II” tarp(thanks to Gen Shimizu, Alpinlite Gear)
- Sleeping Quilt: Jacks ‘R’ Better “Sierra Sniveller” (thanks to the ‘Jacks’ @ Jacks’R’Better)
- Bivy: BPL “Vapr Bivy” (thnks to @ BPL)
- Groundsheet: Tyvek groundsheet (thanks to Gen Shimizu, Alpinlite Gear)
- Tent Stakes: Easton 6″ aluminum tent stakes (thanks to Gen Shimizu, Alpinlite Designs)
- Cookware: MSR “Titan” Titanium Kettle(thanks to @ BPL)
- Ice Axe: Camp “Corsa” (thanks to Andrew Skurka)
- Trekking Poles (thanks to @ BPL)
- Headlamp #2: Princeton Tec “Eos”(thanks to Thom Darrah)
- Music: iPod Shuffle(thanks to Jordan Pratt)
- Food Dehydrator (Christmas thanks to Joan Muir) Won’t be going on the hike, but the food it makes will be!
Pack: McHale Packs “Windsauk” with two side water bottle pouches: 46oz.
Shoulder Pouch: ZPacks Cuben Pouch: .3oz.
Pack Liner: Mountainfitter Cuben Fiber: 1.5oz.
CLOTHING: (from the head down)
^^Hat: Outdoor Research “Seattle Sombrero”: 3.2oz.
Visor: GoLite visor: 2.0oz. (extra sun protection by draping bandana under top of visor)
Beanie: Sherpa Adventure Gear “Sangye” wool: 3.5oz.
^^Bug Head Net: MLD Head Net: .5oz.
Balaclava (regular): Smartwool Balaclava: 1.75oz.
^^Balaclava (insulated): BPL Cocoon Pro 90″: 2.4oz. (for sleeping)
Bandana: .16oz. (x2)
Poncho/Rain Top: GoLite “Poncho Tarp”: 7oz.
Wind Shirt: GoLite windshirt: 3.2oz
^^Wind Shirt: Patagonia “Houdini”: 3.7oz.
Long Sleeve Shirt: REI “Sahara” shirt
Long Sleeve Top: Patagonia “R1 Hoodie”: 11.2oz.
^^Insulated Jacket: Patagonia “Nano Puff”: 11.3oz.
Gloves: Arctery’x “Delta SV”: 1.9oz.
^^Mitts: OR “Rain Mitts”: 2.8oz.
Pants: The North Face “Paramount Peak Convertible” pant: 17.6oz.
Briefs: ExOfficio “Give-N-Go” boxer brief: 3oz. (1 pair worn, 1 pair in BB)
^^Baselayer (bottoms): Patagonia “Capilene 2″: 5.7oz.
^^Waterproof Bottoms: TrailLite Designs “Cloud Kilt”: 1.6oz.
Gaiters: Outdoor Research “Flex-Tex”: 3.8oz.
Socks (lightweight liners): Patagonia “Lightweight Crew”: 1.4oz.(3 pr)(1 worn, 2 in BB)
Socks (midweight): Smartwool “Trekking Heavy Crew”: 3.2oz. (2 pair)(1 worn, 1 in BB)
^^Socks (heavyweight): Wool: 3.6oz. (2 pair) (1 pair in BB, the other for sleeping in)
Shoes: Section 1: Asics “Trail Attack 7″ trail running shoe (240z./pair); Section 2: GoLite “Comp” trail running shoe (24oz./pair); Section 3: GoLite “Timber Lite” lightweight hiking boots (34oz./pair); Section 4: Either GoLite “Comps” trail runners, or GoLite “Timber Lite” boots, whichever seems best at the time.
Shoe Inserts: Superfeet “Blue” inserts after section 1.
Camp Shoes: Sprint Aquatics “Nylon Mesh Shoe”: 1.8oz/pair.
^^Tarp: Alpinlite Gear “Stratiform III” tarp: 13.8oz.
Backup shelter: GoLite “Poncho Tarp” (used as shelter during desert portion, poncho thereafter in wetter portions)
Sleeping Quilt: Jacks’R’Better “Sierra Sniveller” quilt (long): 24oz.
Cuben Quilt Stuff Sack (MountainFitters): .2oz
Bivy: BPL “Vapr”: 8.3oz. (with bug netting and custom side zip)
Sleeping Pad: ThermaRest “Z/Rest”: 12oz.
Groundsheet: Alpinlite Designs Tyvek w/ stakeouts: to be weighed
Tarp Stakes: Easton 6″ aluminum stakes: 2.8oz. (.34oz. ea. x 8 )
Stove (part 1): Homemade cat food can stove: .5oz.
Stove (part 2): Ikea pot stand/wood burner (see thread on BPL “MYOG”) 3.7oz.)
Cookware: MSR “Titan Kettle”: 4.2oz.
2 titanium stakes (for stove): Mountainfitter: .4 oz. (.2oz. each x 2)
Windscreen: Aluminum foil: .2oz.
Fuel bottle: 8oz. sized apathecary bottle: .5oz. (empty)
Fire source #1: Bic disposable mini lighter: .4oz.
Fire source #2: H2O proof matches: .1oz.
Emergency fire tinder: Cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly: .5oz.
Utensil: Long-handled AlpineAire spoon: 1.0oz.
Food Bag: ZPacks Cuben “Blast”: .85oz.
*^^Bear Canister: Garcia Model 812: 2.7 lbs. (looking at lighter options, but I do own this one)(also, ONLY Sierras)
- Big Stuff: Bandana + coffee filters
- Funnel w/ small filter screen: 1.2oz.
- Small stuff: Aqua Mira: 1.5oz.
- Steripen “Adventurer (after Aqua Mira runs out): 3.6oz
- 2 liter soda bottles: 1.9oz. ea. ( x 2 in the desert)
- 1 liter Arizona ice tea bottle: 1.2 oz. (x2)
Petzl eLite: .9oz.
Princeton Tec “Eos”: 3.1oz.
9 hour candle (for nighttime reading/emergency firestarter): 1.2oz
Waist strap for PT “Eos”: .7oz.
Apple “Touch 4G”: 3.6oz. (hi-def video, video editing, journaling, wi-fi, etc.)
Digital Camera (compact): Canon PowerShot SD 1200 IS Elph (10 megapixel): 4.2oz.
Cuben Camera pouch: ZPacks: .1oz.
Otterbox Protective Case: (made for “Touch”): 4oz. (That’s for you, Jayna) :)
2 Aloksak 6″x6″: electronics protection: .7oz.
Paper: (back of section maps)
Toothbrush w/ shortened handle: .3oz.
Toothbrush cap: .1oz
Bottle of Dr. Bronner’s soap/toothpaste: .7oz
Aloksak 5″x4″ for TP: .5oz. (w/TP)
Wipes (“Wet Ones”): 1.1oz.
Balm jars for sunscreen, hydropel: .7oz.
Dropper bottle (for isopropyl alcohol): .3oz.
Plastic Mirror (doubles as emergency reflector): 1.0oz.
Aloksak 6″x9″ (for quick access to Nav materials needed): .5oz.
Gallon sized Ziplock (for remainder of navigational materials): .5oz.
Watch/altimeter tool: don’t have one yet. Weight TBD.
PCT Guidebook: 7oz.
Copies of maps, etc.: 1.0oz. (per section)
First Aid Kit: miscellaneous needed items (detailed kit on website later): 1.9oz.
– Trekking Poles: Mountainsmith “Carbonlite Pro”: 18oz.
–Knife: Gerber “Mini Paraframe” lock blade: 1.4oz.
– Prescription sunglasses (protective). Don’t have yet. Weight TBD
– Glasses (basic/regular). Don’t have yet. Weight TBD.
– Sunglass case: 2.1oz.
Paperwork/Permits: License, backcountry permits, cash, CC, etc. (Passport to be mailed farther north)
^^Camp Corsa Ice Axe (50cm): 7.2oz.
^^ DEET lightweight spray tube: .5oz.
Assorted cuben stuff sacks & cuben dry bags. (Mountain Fitters and ZPacks): 2.8oz.
Special Thanks To: (the following people have helped with the items below by either giving me a great deal on the purchase, or by sponsoring me with the use of their products. I am deeply grateful to each and every one of them).